Wednesday, February 8, 2017

In depth with John LaMacchia: Bonus track "Drop" on Spylacopa Redux


"Drop" was recorded around the same time that the Spylacopa EP was recorded and released in 2008, so I always considered it as part of that same body of work. It all happened when I came across a bunch of cassette tapes that my dad was storing for me in his garage for some years. Going through them, I came across one in particular that had this really strange, slowed down and pitched down drum beat and bass line. Apparently the cassette was used for one of my earlier recordings I did with my old Tascam 488, 8 Track Cassette recorder.


When you play one of these tapes in a regular cassette player, you will only hear part of what was recorded and it plays back way slower and pitched down, which is where the song title comes from. It really inspired me.

I loved the way it churned and twisted, like a giant crocodile writhing in mud. So I decided to record my cassette deck, playing the cassette tape, directly into my Boss BR1600 16 Track recorder. 


Then I began recording the rest of what became the finished piece. It is still one of my favorite home recordings and I hope fans dig it too.

No comments: